1. James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings.
2. Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
3. because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
4. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
5. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.
6. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.
7. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;
8. he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.
9. The brother in humble circumstances ought to take pride in his high position.
10. But the one who is rich should take pride in his low position, because he will pass away like a wild flower.
11. For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business.